Friday 22 April 2016

Goblin Army Additions

I've been very slowly building up an Orc and Goblin army for Warhammer. Every time I get some miniatures painted however, a new rule set and army list comes out to ruin my progress. AoS of course completely ruined things so I'm now aiming at a Kings of War army instead. I hope to play 2nd Ed this Monday if all goes well.

In any case I made these Squig hoppers. I had received a couple of stock standard GW figures as 'extra' bits in an ebay purchase but these were not really enough to make up a unit. I decided that I could make my own from plastic night goblins out of one of the warhammer boxes plus some green stuff. Here they are unpainted.

Here they are painted and based

I remember fondly the native American inspired goblins of 4th ed and always wanted to get some of them made up. Time of course ruined these plans with them being completely dropped and then partially brought back, only to disappear in the void of AoS. I've since ignored this and went ahead and created two heroes on gigantic spiders. The first one is a GW metal goblin with a plastic orcy sword swapped in and a bunch of feathers stuck to his helmet. The feathers were off some GW plastic Empire handgunners who didn't need them anymore. I painted the sword yellow as an attempt to look like a 'magic flame sword' to give him some heroic flavour, something goblins desperately need ;-)

This next one is I think some kind of goblin miniature, I can't remember from where, painted up to look like  a goblin shaman on a gigantic spider. You might be able to see the spider's victim wrapped up in spider silk on the base underneath him. I think the victim was green stuff wrapped with everyday cotton thread and a skull stuck on top for a head.



The two spiders were like the one pictured below. I tried to bend the legs into interesting shapes but they snapped so I had to pin and glue them back in place. I don't think you can see too well but the front legs are raised in a menacing way. They are based on 40x40mm bases.


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful stuff sir! Your greenstuff work is superb as always, those squigs are brilliant and perfect copies of the "real" ones. AoS buggered up a lot of things for a lot of people it seems! Mantic must be rubbing their hands together, as a lot of people seem to be heading their way from Warhammer.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how many figures they are selling but I bought the rules at least, which were much cheaper than GW AND you get the army lists. Also, there are other rules systems to fall for while you are there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if this is of any interest to you, but a few of us other bloggers are going to run a month long project called "Forgotten Heroes" where you re-paint or convert existing figures into Superheroes that there are currently no official or unofficial figures available of. I thought with your "greenstuffing" skills this might be right up your alley.

    If you are interested the rules are here, half way down the page..

    https://carrioncrowsbuffet.wordpress.com/

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the invite, I'm pretty kenn. Now to think of a super hero that hasn't been done before...

    ReplyDelete